Friday, May 12, 2006

The Back Yard & The Neighborhood

This photo doesn't do the backyard justice; however, if you look closely you can see Jake, the family lab, in the left corner. I tried to get him included in the house price, but the buyers wouldn't bite.

The backyard has a concrete patio with a little brick garden around the border. Since bulbs aren't that expensive, I may plant some flowers in the spring. The traditional South Philly green awning protects the doorway from rainwater. Once I get back on my feet financially, I hope to put some container plants and lawn furniture back there.

Girard Park is about a block from my house. When Stephen Girard owned the land, he called it Gentillhommiere. The land surrounding the estate, shown here, looks run down, but the park still has many beautiful, mature trees, a statue of Girard and benches around the perimeter of the square.

Now that I'm a homeowner(!), I might be able to influence others in the community to restore the park. I've rarely seen people there, although I have noticed folks walking dogs on sunny weekends. I would love to plant trees, pull weeds and renovate the building. The park should be a source of pride for neighborhood residents, and I'd love to be a part of it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike and I got a flyer in our mailbox a while ago that had several bits of neighborhood info in it. One of the things mentioned was that a committee is working on plans to restore the park and the house. It said a presentation is planned for September on the history of the park and house. The only info on the newsletter was that is was a 'GEAR' newsletter.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home