Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch...

I got a message this afternoon from Peter, my new cat sitter at PhilaPets. I could be mistaken, but I believe his voice trembled as he described what he'd seen in my home. My little angel cat Nanuq had broken "at least one plate and one glass," he guessed, and newspapers and magazines were strewn everywhere. Peter's professional assessment: "He really did a number on the place."

I was a little suprised by the news. Earlier this week, I moved most of my glasses and mugs into my one kitchen cabinet. I figured the plates would be safe, since they're made of heavy pottery. I obviously underestimated the power of a lonely eight-pound cat.

Things have calmed down considerably since I put away my breakables and gave up on keeping Nanuq off the kitchen table during non-meal times. Nanuq's biggest recent adventure had been a short swim in the toilet. I turned my back for three seconds and heard a splash. Out came Nanuq, happy as could be.

My father went on one of his anti-cat rampages upon hearing of Nanuq's most recent antics. So without even meeting Nanuq, he now seems to dislike my second cat as much as my first. Maybe I'm too patient, but I think Nanuq is just being a kitten. I should have known better than to test his coordination skills by putting fine china on the highest shelves in my apartment. I hope (and pray) he will calm down as he begins to feel more secure in his surroundings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home