Friday, September 15, 2006

The Transformation Begins...

This weekend marks the beginning of the rebirth of the house. At long last, the colors have been chosen, the holes filled and the work begun.

Several weeks ago, Home Depot installed new vinyl windows in the upstairs bedrooms, my first efforts to make the house more environmentally friendly. I chose double-paned, low-E glass, which means the windows meet strict government standards for energy efficiency under Energy Star guidelines. On the other hand, the sanding I must do this weekend will spread particulate matter (tiny particles) all over the house. Guess I have to pick my battles.

I feel good about my paint choices. My primer and paint come from Sherwin-Williams' Harmony Line, which contains no VOCs (volatile organic compounds). VOCs are nasty, carbon-containing chemicals toxic to living things. They evaporate at room temperature, and when warmed by sunlight can interact with other chemicals and turn into a potion that forms ground-level ozone and particulate matter. Not pretty stuff, but we have VOCs all around us--in paint, in aerosol containers, in new flooring and furniture.

On Wednesday Bob, my new handyman, installed molding around several windows and entryways. Bob, a portly, native Philadelphian in his 50s, marched into the house Monday night and gave me his assessment. "Who did this patchwork?" He asked/accused.

"I did," I said, hanging my head. "I have a lot of sanding to do."

"You're telling me!" He said.

I learned the previous owners had patched over my access to the bathroom plumbing, so Bob installed a tiny door. He also fixed my storm door, gratis, which was falling off the hinges.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home