Thursday, July 27, 2006

Spinning the Color Wheel

I think I've discovered the greatest copywriting job in the world: naming paint colors.

For the past two weeks I've been exploring the intricacies of the color wheel. Just when I think I've examined every yellow-green, green-yellow, yellow-pink and pink-yellow combination on earth, I change my mind and start all over again.

My path to color enlightenment began at the website of Sherwin-Williams, where I found an affordable paint/primer called "Harmony" that contains no volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Fortunately, "Harmony" is available only in lighter shades, so I could eliminate a bunch of deep colors right away.

The site allows users to select a room and "paint" it in a variety of Sherwin-Williams colors. I have spent hours painting and re-painting rooms, looking at colors next to a variety of wood floors and levels of ambient light.

When I'm hungry, I paint my room Portabello, Butter Cream or Cherry Tomato. If I'm feeling frisky, I try Saucy Gold, Swanky Gray, Ravishing Coral, Heartthrob or Lusty Red. To try to boost my spirits, I work with Free Spirit, Euphoric Lilac, Drama Violet and Dapper Tan. But would anyone ever really choose a paint called Polite White or Vaguely Mauve? Why not just announce, "I am Somewhat Dull because I'm Vaguely Uncertain About My Style"?

Right now I'm struggling between Solaria and Lantern Light for my living room, Atmospheric and Vast Sky for my bedroom, and Jardin and Nurture Green for my office. The emerging theme: Bringing the outside in. My only real toss-up is the guest room, where I tried two colors, Swimming and Teaberry. I painted patches of each color near the window. I felt like I was living in an Easter Egg patch.

2 Comments:

Blogger mar-mar said...

i've always had a conflictual relationship with color. i made it all the way through a master's degree in art without using it as a crucial part of my work or forcing myself to explore it. i've often wondered what i would do with the freedom to paint my own space--i'd like to think i'd experiment wildly but in reality i would probably have some Vaguely Mauve right in there. So go over the edge with it! nothing is permanent--enjoy!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Dutch said...

Dude, the Sherwin Williams website is SOOOO addictive. I just went on there to look at a few paint colors and became entranced with their paint-your-room feature. FUN!

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home