Monday, February 06, 2006

Black Cats Banished Again

This weekend I decided I would do it, I would adopt a cat. On Saturday I went to Morris Animal Refuge. Usually, they have a ton of cats, but this week many of the cages were empty. Some of the cats looked sick; others didn't seem to care what was going on around them. I only connected with one cat--a black kitty named Jones. I liked the idea I could pretend he was named after Keith Jones or Jonesy, the ridiculous ex-Flyer who farts on Comcast SportsNet and still comes out looking like a Philadelphia hero (maybe that's what makes him a hero in some people's eyes). Anyway, Jones was about a year old, and he followed my finger with his eyes, just like a player would follow a hockey puck. I knew I shouldn't even consider a black cat, but I decided to ask to try him out anyway.

The first thing I noticed was how healthy and fat he felt, not at all like Lancie toward the end. His hair was so thick and shiny. He purred when I pet him. The poor kitty was pretty scared, though. I don't think he realized where he was. When I pulled him out of the cage, he suddenly saw the other cats and promptly had a hissy fit. I tried to comfort him, but I started crying myself. He looked like Lancelot, but he wasn't Lancelot. He felt like a big blob of a cat, not like my "cat baby."

The moral of the story? No black cats for me. I'm thinking white, orange, gray, tabby, whatever. Hopefully, I'll find a female. I'd also like a young cat, something so cute and cuddly I'll have no choice but to love it immediately. I'll try again next weekend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear J,

I meant to put this on my original blog (which can be found under "Welcome to Lancie BLog") but I would be more than happy to go with you to look at kitties. This may be something that you would prefer to do on your own, but if you want company I am happy to join! You will find a great kitty soon!

Love,
Ray

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home